Friday 3 June 2016

#Airbnbwhileblack

Airbnb, an American corporation  for accomodation has reportedly fired a racist host for cancelling a reservation purely because of the client’s colour. Images have surfaced and gone viral across the net revealing the messages sent by the employee and his manner within cancelling the reservation, explicitly stating
“I hate niggers so I’m gonna cancel you, This is the south darling, find another place to rest your nigger head” .The Chief executive proclaimed that this case was only the “latest in a growing number of accusations and lawsuits against the site.” Other similar cases such as a 25 year old man was denied accomodation, however another user that appeared to be White had no trouble requesting the same property.  Also there were growing trends within interacial couples also having dfficulties finding accomodations, leading to the campaign #Airbnbwhileblack.
Undeniably this is a form of overt racism, the use of deliberate, obvious and conscious racism, using colour or race as a justification for animosity.


http://gizmodo.com/airbnb-bans-racist-host-after-latest-accusation-of-bias-1780045143

1 comment:

  1. That's so disgusting that it is 2016 and we are still experiencing this sort of thing? After getting things like hashtags involved in bringing change eg. the incident with the "roastbusters". But its honestly not surprising. 4 years ago, I was moving to Auckland to begin my magical journey for a degree and I found that if I spoke te reo in my emails or any correspondence to property managers or agencies I didn't get any replies. Soon as I began using "Hello" and "Good afternoon" I received replies. So sadly, times haven't changed even in little ol' NZ.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.