Tuesday 29 March 2016

Whats up My Nigga?

      You chose to open up my blog …. Whats up Maaaaa Nigga!
Weird isn’t it? Offensive, funny, normal, derogatory, inclusive, exclusive? Calling readers, friends or company a ‘Nigga’ can mean completely different things to different people and in view of racism, indignity and ethnicity I find more layers than one to the phrase ‘nigga’.
 A few years ago I asked a black American girl I knew where she stood in this double edged sword and she said where she lives there was a distinct difference between calling someone a ‘Nigga’ and a ‘Nigger’. One was a colloquial term said among the younger generations of our time (nigga) and the other, was weighted heavily with historically racial attack, tracing back to the times of black slavery and oppression. I was very glad I asked because out of ignorance I would probably have not known the difference. Needless to say, I avoided that word for the weekend.
Now it is not a phrase common in my vocabulary, however it is interesting to me, how it encapsulates so many binaries, deficiencies, inconsistencies and cultural contrasts that the relationship of society and language, have today.

Famously in the movie I love, ‘Coach Cater’, this conversation about the term arose. The movie highlights contrasts of ideologies and ways of living among black American communities, through a powerful story of a basketball team. Coach Cater takes up a job at a rough high school and trains the team in discipline and direction in not only the game but also in life. Naturally this didn’t just include the way they play, but also speak, live and conduct themselves.
                                                           
                                                               Coach Carter - Nigga Clip

                                                           
YG - My Nigga Official Video

On the other hand, we have YG and co. who take pride in calling those that he would die next to, grow up with and befriend, a ‘Nigga’. There is absolutely no concern for historical, political or social repercussions. However, in his defense, this term is said in jest, and one that almost unites gangs, friends and his people. If I was to translate it into ‘white culture slang’, the same confusion applies with ‘Bitch’. Is it who is saying the word, where you’re saying the word, or who its directed to which defines it as a compliment, a joke or an insult? Perhaps it’s a cultural thing and maybe we could just leave it at that…However the issue arises when mainstream jargon and media is distributed among an international audience and thus a young white girl us unsure why it wrong so smile and affirm, ‘maaaaaa nigga’ to her friend in public.

I wander is it offensive anymore, have we used it so much that just as swear words barely sting, it no longer holds any substance and no longer has meaning as a word, but rather relies entirely on its context. What’s the point then? If it doesn’t mean anything, why choose that word? Or is it our prerogative as Asian, White, Indian, Black or Island individuals to say whatever, however we like because language is a fluid binary and its other people’s choice of how to receive it? Does it even mater?
 I’m not sure where I stand, and I’d love to know where others do, so I guess I’ll ask one more time,
“Whats up …. Maaaaa Nigga?”








2 comments:

  1. I always find it interesting what people think on this topic. I do believe it is a word that should not be used so casually. I would imagine in america that the word still has those historical links in their youth. Whereas, over here in New Zealand the only real exposure we have to african-Americans is through the media. it seems that the youth over here have adopted the term nigga as used in music and movies and stuff. So its the version of the word where its a term of endearment among peers. The word nigger, however, i believe is understood in NZ to be bad. Its just that we dont have those historical links to the word and so we also use it quite casually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a tricky topic to deal with especially from a white persons perspective. My understanding was the term was used as a derogatory term by the white man towards the slave. This new "slang" could be seen as a way to take the power back from the white man by putting a spin on the terminology. In New Zealand however, I do not see how non- Africans or African Americans can use a slang term in a way not seen as culturally insensitive or degrading when the term derives from the word negro. Is it weird or wrong for an Hispanic to use this term in a slang hip way? And how does this compare to a Maori in NZ using it?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.