Wednesday 8 June 2016

White Privledge - Self Examining my Privledges

White Privledge

The idea that white people are blinded by their privledge is something I can relate to. I have to sit down and really think and explore my experiences such that I can have examples of the white privledge I "earn" in the world just by being white. For this blog submission I have included some of the privledges I have identified. I woudl encourage those who are white privledged to do the same, and ofcourse, I would enourange any thoughts from non-white people to contribute as well for I may well be missing obvious privledges. As follows:

1) I have had the privilege of being favoured and selected favourably in primary school by figures of authority

There were 5 white kids in a predominantly non-white primary shcool in my year.  Get this. Three News, What Now, & Sticky TV approached our school in 2005 - asking for students to participate on television. For Three News I was choosen to talk about the flouridated water. For Sticky TV Only the white kids of my year were slected for the "You Cook it." Lastly, What Now needed kids to appear as  background fill ins for a studio session.

Only the white kids were selected.
Unbelievable, now that I think about it, right?

2) I have had the privledge of reading books, poetry, watching movies and playing video games that ALL represent my race. 

I remember my primary and highschool library. 
3) I have the privilege of avoiding the racism in family guy and South Park.

Because ALL black people are inherently violent. even on a race track, right Seth McFarlane? 

5) I have had the privlege of being ignorant to issues of race and identity throughtout my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.