Friday 10 June 2016

The Privilege we give to the WHITE.

It seems its a defense mechanism for us colored people when white people seem to say something that offends us to automatically reply "You're Racist!!" or think that the white person is being racist. When really their just Racist!! (haha) I remember as a kid when i shifted to Melbourne Australia I automatically hated it and at that age i didn't even know what racist was. But i literally remember the feeling of being different surrounded by so many white people. The power of white people is in how they live pretty much anywhere and are everywhere in world and have made contact with everyone in the world (Colonization). Therefore they are not strangers in foreign lands because everyone knows of them. In my family I hate to say it but your deemed prettier the fairer your skin is and the smaller your nose is, i don't really know if this is the same in all Samoan families. For example the "Afakasi" literally meaning half cast, half white and half Samoan. The Afakasi kids in my families are always given special treatment are always complemented on how beautiful they look etc. As for the the rest of us getting compliments such as "You're getting fat", or "man your really black". My point is we colored people can play a role in "White privilege" in the way that we separate ourselves from the whites, unconsciously putting ourselves down in comparison to them. Religion is a really influential part of Samoan culture yet we are praising a God that is illustrated as a white man. We learned and accepted a religion that was from a white man. My point here is that in a way, at times we give white people privilege. The color white is associated with meanings such as light, purity, perfection in comparison to black, therefore the color itself reinforces its power. We colored people complain about when white people point out their superiority or authority and yet we don't just tell them where to go or put them in their place. I remember an incident that happened to me in Australia when i was around twelve. This was my first time going to an all white school, so me and my sister were the only brown kids. Coming from a school where there are only one or two white kids at school and then it being switched, and you actually see how different it is to be white. So the incident was there was these three white girls sitting behind me and my Mum at the park after school when my mum came to pick me up. My mum was talking in Samoan to me and i was talking back and I could hear these white girls in the background giggling and mocking the way we were talking in our language. My mum just ignored it, but it was loud, so I knew she could hear them mimicking the way she was talking to me. I was getting so annoyed and angry i had a can of coke in my hand and what i did was i walked over to them my Mum just looked at me surprised, I stood in front of them they looked up at me because they were seated on the grass, and they continued giggling. I got the can of coke i had in my hand and poured it all over the top of them. Then I laughed at them and said "Whats your problem?" they replied "You ******* coconut go back to where your from" they got up and started running away, I was running after them. My mother kept calling my name but i was so furious at how they disrespected my Mum, I didn't care about myself but just seeing it being done to someone you love is a whole different story. Anyways after when i got back to my Mum she was like "why did you do that for?" And me being that age i was just thinking their mocking the way we talk? why should we let them make us feel insecure about the way we speak? And that was the first time I experienced how we colored people give the white people privilege at times by putting ourselves down in their presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.