Wednesday 8 June 2016

Indigenous Language

During One of the classes in the Race, Indigenity and Media turotials I learned that words such as Pakhea was commonly used in New Zealand society by everyone, although the word was very politizised by some. It made me think about how we include indigeneous language into other cultures in the world, particularly my own culture of scandinavia and the indigineous Sami people that live here. I dont think I know of any Sami words that are used commonly outside of Sami cultures and communities and I realised that is a real shame. In Norway there are two official languages, bot types of Norwegian. I think now there should be three official languages, even if non-Sami norwegians wont speak it day to day, we need to be more inclusive of all the cultures that live here, and language is an important part of that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.