Tuesday 10 May 2016


Am I Pakeha??


When Suzanne asked this question during a lecture, I was genuinely unsure how to answer. I am white. My family is mostly of Scottish and English descent, and have been in New Zealand for many generations. Therefore you would think I would identify as Pakeha. However I have a very small amount of Maori heritage. I am 1/64 Maori. I know this is a minuscule amount. However if Pakeha as an identity exists only in opposition to being Maori...am I Pakeha? If Pakeha means not being Maori, do I identify with that?

My grandfather grew up during a time in which being Maori was something to be ashamed of, and thus any association or identification with Maori culture or ancestry was looked down on. For this reason, my father and his siblings were unaware of their Maori heritage until they were older and looked into the family history themselves. My father and his siblings did a lot of research into this, and my cousins and I grew up being very aware of our Maori heritage and were instilled with a pride in this. I have visited my tribe and Marae as a child, and the graves of my ancestors. I receive a quarterly newsletter from my tribe. I am on the Maori electoral roll. I support Maori rights, especially in regards to the treaty, and I find the lack of justice and equality for Maori in New Zealand extremely problematic. However I was not brought up surrounded by Maori culture and practices, it was more on the outskirts of my life than an embedded part of it. I of course experience white privilege due to being part of the dominant group in New Zealand, and thus inherently identify with western cultural norms. Because of this, and having only a tiny amount of Maori ancestry, I would not necessarily identify as being Maori. But am I Pakeha?

I would be really interested to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an interesting blog! It is so cool that you've taken what you've learnt and applied your knowledge to yourself and reflected on how it affects you personally. I am not sure how to answer your question either though. I feel as if the problem with the term Pakeha is demonstrated in your situation! If you have been brought up in a predominantly 'Pakeha' way, but acknowledge and take pride in your Maori ethnicity, does that still make you Pakeha? Or does the fact that you have engaged in your Maori ethnicity make you, by personal choice, identifiable as Maori? Or does it come down to the extent to which you engage in Maori culture and Pakeha culture that defines who you should identify as? Sorry I can't help you answer your question, I'm sure this scenario applies to many New Zealand citizens. Such an interesting post! :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.